The City of Cupertino is developing a citywide Parks and Recreation System Master Plan to guide future improvements to parks, recreation facilities, trails, programs and events. Early tasks in four phases provided a foundation for the planning process. This included conducting community outreach and completing a technical analysis of parks, trends and demographics to identify planning directions. Next steps included:
• Community Needs and Opportunities Assessment: In Summer 2017, a questionnaire was launched to identify the community’s vision and goals for parks and recreation. This feedback helped define specific needs and opportunities for park land, different types of recreation facilities, program and service improvements, as well as natural resource protection. Additional significant community input has been received in 2018 and 2019.
• Master Plan Goals and Opportunities: Systemwide objectives with associated actions have been identified, as well as a range of opportunities to enhance the overall parks and recreation system and individual sites.
• Plan Development and Refinement: Short and longer-term projects and enhancements and a set objectives and action items have been summarized in a Draft Plan for review by City residents, key stakeholders, staff, the Parks & Recreation Commission, the Planning Commission, and City Council. The insights of these groups will be used to refine and finalize the Master Plan.
• Plan Adoption: City Council’s adoption of the Master Plan will launch an exciting new future for Cupertino residents. City staff will begin incorporating Master Plan opportunities into the capital improvement program, annual work plans, and prioritized in a three-year Parks and Recreation strategic plan, to deliver high-quality amenities and services.
• Current Opportunities to Become Involved: At different times throughout this process, we will need your help. If you would like to be added to an email distribution list to receive updates about the project, visit the eNotification Page and check the topic "Parks & Recreation System Master Plan" under the News section.
• What's Next: Watch for a final public draft in coming months. After public comments and environmental evaluation of the plan, it will be considered for adoption by the City Council.